Menu

HISTORY of THIRTEEN FORTY FIVE PALM CANYON DRIVE


1944

Harold Hicks purchased the vacant land. Mr. Hicks was a founding father of the City of Palm Springs, the son of Alvah Hicks, developer and builder of Old Las Palmas.


Harold Hicks (center)

 

1955

E. Stewart Williams is commissioned to design the Harold Hicks Real Estate and Insurance Building.
 

1959

Julius Shulman photographs the building.
 

1960

Redesign and additions to the building by architectural firm Lundgren and Maurer. The building becomes the Desert Water Company.
 

1961

Harold Hicks leases the building to his brother, Milton Hicks and it becomes the Palm Springs Water Company Building.
 

1968

Desert Water Company is sold and becomes Desert Water Agency, a public corporation.
 

1973

The building changes ownership to The Desert Water Agency through eminent domain and Harold Hicks receives $186,500.
 

1978

Desert Water Agency sells the building to Katrina Heinrich-Steinberg who uses the building to house offices for her real estate company.
 

2002

The building is purchased by Albert Legittino and Peter Benassi. During their ownership the building becomes The Renegade Art Gallery.
 

2012

The building is sold to Thirteen Forty Five Palm Canyon, LLC and it becomes a collective of design shops.